Friday, 9 July 2:00 to 3:45 PM EST
COVID-19 has made it evident that we not only have to “build back-better” but we need to bring transformative change in the way we approach education. What is the purpose of education? Can education help to build a better, more just and more caring society? The objectives were be to discuss the following overarching questions.
- How can education build bridges and lead towards a more equitable and justice oriented society?
- How can SDG 4 and more specifically SDG 4.7 to bring about transformative education?
- What have the global education community learned from the pandemic about reaching the vulnerable and the at risk population population?
ICAE was represented by President Robbie Guevara, Elsy Wakil (General Secretary of The Arab House for Adult Education and Development) and Carol Avande Houndjo (ICAE Vice president for Africa). The panelists discussed about using SDGs as a tool to achieve the 21st century learning skills. The panelists discussed the mechanisms to integrate the SDGs using case studies and their respective areas of expertise. This will include discussing technology, curriculum development, lesson plans, curricular resources and other such aids that will help to achieve SDG4 along with meeting the targets of all other SDGs.
- International Council for Adult Education
- Center for Sustainable Development, Earth Institute, Columbia University